Pages

Wednesday 26 February 2020

Food Testing

Testing Food nutrients

AimFood nutrients are present in different foods.

Hypothesis
  • I think eggs are protein. 
  • I think bread will be complex sugar. 
  • I think glucose will be simple sugar. 
  • I think apple will be simple sugar. 
  • I think milk will be protein. 
  • I think Potato will be complex sugar.
Equipment: 



Testing Complex Sugar

Method Complex Sugar:
Add 5 drop of Iodine.

Result Complex Sugar
  • Bread - Yes
  • Egg -  No
  • Potato - Yes
  • Apple - Yes
  • Milk - No
  • Glucose - No


Testing Simple sugar

Method Simple Sugar:
1. Place about 2 ml of the sample into a test tube and then add 5 drops of Benedict's Solution.
2. Heat with a Bunsen until it changes colour. Do not boil.

Result Simple Sugar

  • Potato - Some
  • Eggs - No 
  • Milk - No
  • Glucose - Yes
  • Bread - No
  • Apple - Yes
Testing Protein

Method Protein:
1. Place about 2 ml of the sample into a test tube and add 5 drops of sodium hydroxide.
2. Add 5 drops of copper sulfate.
3. Shake the test tube gently from side to side
Result:

  • Bread has no protein
  • Milk has protein
  • Glucose sugar has no proteins
  • Egg is protein
  • Potato has no protein
  • Apple has no protein


Conclusion: My hypothesis were right. 


Discussion: I found out that egg and milk has no Complex sugar and Simple sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Great first science blog Jullien! I enjoyed seeing whether your hypothesis was right for each of the foods. Next time it would be awesome to see some photos added :)

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.