Pages

Monday 17 May 2021

Metals and Oxygen

 Last week we did we did another experiment it was about making a metal oxide and Today I will be talking about it.

Aim: To make a metal oxide and observe the difference in properties of the product commpared to the reactants.

Equipment: A piece of magnesium, Bunsen burner, safety glasses and metal scissor tongs.

Method:

1. Light your Bunsen burner.

2. Hold your piece of magnesium in the scissor tongs. Ensure you are holding onto the very tip of the              magnesium.

3.  Place the other end of the magnesium into the Bunsen flame ( at the top of the blue flame).

4.  When the magnesium begins to burn,  do not look directly at it, as the light emitted can permanently           damage your eyes.

Observations: The magnesium got very bright when it was burning and became like a powder/ash when it stopped.

Burning magnesium in a Bunsen flame and other flame experiments | Chem13  News Magazine | University of Waterloo

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.