Pages

Thursday 20 May 2021

Testing for the Presence of Oxygen

 Aim: To carry out a test for the presence of oxygen gas.

Equipment: A pea-sized amount of manganese dioxide, boiling tube, bottle of hydrogen peroxide, safety glasses, wooden splint, Bunsen burner and a test tube rack.

Method:

1.  Light your Bunsen burner.

2.  Add the manganese dioxide to the boiling tube and place it in your test tube rack.

3.  Add 2ml of hydrogen peroxide.

4. Light  a splint and let it burn for a while.

5. Blow the splint out and insert the glowing embers into the mouth of the boiling tube.



Observation: When we inserted the splint embers into the boiling tube it re-light the splint. It re-light because there was oxygen being produced by hydrogen peroxide and manganese peroxide. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.